Thank you for choosing EvidenceNuker.
This product will detect and remove details of your computer activity that can be used to view websites you have visited, documents you have opened, videos you have watched, files you have deleted, and much more. EvidenceNuker will scan your computer and allow you to see exactly what activity has been stored on your hard drive and then provides you with the ability to securely delete these traces.
Note: An unregistered version of EvidenceNuker will only detect the traces of activity but will not remove them. For more information about registering your copy of EvidenceNuker please refer to the Registration portion of this help file.
The Main tab is the initial screen that displays whenever EvidenceNuker is opened for the first time.
Important! Before starting a scan please close Internet Explorer, Paint, WordPad, and Media Player.
- To perform a scan simply click the Scan button.
- Once the scan has completed the summary data is displayed.
- To see the details of the scan click Proceed.
The Results tab is you will find the details of the items detected during the scan of your system including the type and description. The ability to remove or exclude these items is also provided here.
Exclude an Item
- Excluding an item causes EvidenceNuker to ignore the item and not display it in future scans. This prevents it from being removed from your system.
- To exclude an item you must right-click in the specific item in the bottom pane of the display that you wish to exclude.
Note: Only the following sections include the ability to exclude items:
- Address Bar History
- IE Cookies
To Delete Traces
To delete all traces found during the scan simply click the Delete All button. To delete only some of the traces found during the scan you must select the item(s) in the bottom pane using CTRL+Click or SHIFT+Click and then right-click the item(s) and choose Delete. This will delete only the items you selected.
Once the deletion has begun it may take several minutes to complete depending on the speed of your computer, the number of traces found, and the shredder level you have selected.
Once the deletion has completed a summary of the deletion results will be displayed.
Understanding the Deletion Summary
The deletion summary may include the following text.
"Due to the operating system limitations some items will be completely deleted on the next reboot." This refers to traces that your Operating System caches in memory and cannot be fully deleted until the Operating System is restarted. This includes Run History and other items.
"Some items could not be removed. Please start your computer in Safe Mode and try again." This refers to items that are currently in use or otherwise locked and not physically able to be deleted. The most common reason for this message is temporary files that the Operating System or other software creates and maintains. You can see the files that were not removable by performing another scan. You can restart your computer in Safe Mode by pressing F8 or CTRL just before any Windows screens are displayed during a reboot.
The Exclude List provides you with the ability to control which items will not be removed from your computer. Items you may want to exclude are cookies for websites you visit regularly such as online forums that rely on cookies to retain your forum preferences.
Options provide controls over the scan schedule, shredder level, update, and other common functions.
- Automatically Start When Windows Starts – Causes EvidenceNuker to start whenever Windows does. This is on by default and is required to provide and Scheduled scans.
- Save Log File Automatically - Enables application logging. This is disabled by default otherwise the log can provide virtually the same traces that the traces themselves provide since it includes scan details.
- Warn if Internet Explorer running before running the scan – Checks if Internet Explorer is running, and warns if it is. Leaving Internet Explorer running during a scan can prevent accurate scan and removal operations.
- Clear pagefile at shutdown – Causes your pagefile (swapfile) to be deleted when Windows shuts down. This is on by default. The pagefile often includes copy of applications and data stored in memory.
To assist with automatically removing traces a daily scan is automatically scheduled. Options to disable or modify this automatic scan are also provided.
- Enable Schedule – An automatic scan will be performed if this option is checked.
- Scan Every – Provides the ability to schedule the automatic scan every day, or just once per week.
- At – Provides the ability to set the time the automatic scan begins.
Controls what happens when you close EvidenceNuker.
- Exit causes the application to completely exit from memory.
- Hide causes the application to reside in the system tray (by your clock).
Note: Hide is recommended and is necessary to enable EvidenceNuker to remain running in memory in order for scheduled scans to function.
Included is the ability for the application to check for, download, and install both application and definition file updates automatically. Control over the update functionality is provided here.
- Fully Automatic Update – Will check for updates automatically and download the necessary files. A notification will then be displayed that the update is ready for installation.
- Update Notification – Will check for updates automatically but not download them. A notification will then be displayed that the update is available for download and installation.
- Manual Update – Disables automatic update completely. All updates will have to be maintained manually via the Check Now button or by visiting our website.
- Check Now – Causes the application to check for an available update but will not download them. A notification will then be displayed that the update is available for download and installation.
By selecting the shredding level you can choose how thorough the data will be erased. The higher you go the harder it is for specialists to recover the deleted data.
Note: It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that Level 2 or higher be enabled.
Specific details about the product are provided here such as the program version and registration status.
- Version – The version of the application.
- Serial Number – This is the number provided to register the product, if applicable.
- Status – Indicates if the application is in trial mode or is registered.
An unregistered version of EvidenceNuker will only detect the traces of activity but will not remove them. Registration removes this restriction and allows full use of the product.
- To purchase a registration key click the Get Registration Key button to open the product order form.
- To enter a registration key simply enter the key and click Proceed to begin the registration process.
- IMPORTANT! Note that EvidenceNuker must be allowed to communication over the internet with our registration server in order for the registration process to be completed successfully. Please make sure you are connected to the internet and that any firewall software is configured to allow EvidenceNuker to connect to the internet. Also make sure you are entering your registration key exactly as it was provided, including any dashes.
TIP! It is easiest to copy the registration key and paste it into the Enter Registration Key field to ensure that the key is entered properly.
- Get Registration key – Press this button to open the product order form and purchase a registration.
- Register – Press this button to complete the registration process. Note this button will not become enabled until a valid registration key is entered into the Enter Registration Key field.